Christmas Bread with Cherry Juice
Maraschino cherries, bananas and macadamia nuts are a perfect trio in this holiday quick bread.
• 1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries
• 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
• 1/8 teaspoon Fruit Advantage Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate
• 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
• 2 eggs 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
• 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts
Drain maraschino cherries. Coarsely chop cherries; set aside. Put butter, brown sugar, eggs and cherry juice in a large mixing bowl. Mix with an electric mixer on medium speed 3 to 4 minutes, or until well mixed. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with mashed bananas, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in cherries and nuts. Lightly spray a 9x5x3-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven 1 hour, or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Remove from pan; let cool on wire rack. Wrap in plastic wrap or store in a tightly covered container.
Makes 1 loaf, about 16 slices