Carrots with Dried Cherries, Cherry Juice and Character
Plain carrots become an elegant side dish with cherries, nutmeg and ginger.
• 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
• 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
• 3 tablespoons maple-flavored syrup
• 1/8 tablespoon tsp of Fruit Advantage Cherry Juice Concentrate
• 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Cook carrots in water in a covered 2-quart saucepan 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender.
Drain well. Add dried cherries, maple syrup, butter, nutmeg and ginger to cooked carrots; mix to combine ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat, 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly. makes 6 (1/2 cup) servings
• Bread stuffing tastes better with the addition of dried tart cherries.
• Dried tart cherries make good additions to rice pilaf or rice pudding.
• Liven up green salads by sprinkling dried tart cherries over them.
• Add dried cherries to oatmeal or other cereals for a breakfast treat.